To construct in the City of San Antonio, your property must be platted and zoned. The first step is to verify that the zoning of your land allows for its intended use.

Check Your Property's Zoning

For each zoning district, your project will need to follow required building setbacks. The minimum distance from the property lines that a structure must be located. For more information, view the UDC Chapter 35, Article 3.

NOTE: The City also has a variety of overlay districts that could affect your design.

Rezoning & Plan Amendment

Rezoning changes the zoning classification of your property. Rezoning to another classification changes the uses allowed on the property. This process requires an application, public notifications and hearings by the Zoning Commission and City Council.

If the property is located within a neighborhood, community or sector plan, a request to rezone property may require a plan amendment. This process requires an additional public hearing before the Planning Commission prior to going to Zoning Commission and City Council.

If you are interested in rezoning, we recommend you speak with our Zoning Staff prior to initiating the process.

Application for Change of Zoning/Plan Amendment (PDF)

Zoning Verification Letters

A Zoning Verification Letter is an optional service that identifies a property's current zoning, based on the zoning ordinance. This is an intensive research process that verifies the zoning of the property. This letter is often used when attempting to get or sell property, or for a lender or title company to verify that the zoning use has been verified.

If you would like a zoning verification letter, submit the application and research fee. Our department will provide you with a Zoning Verification Letter within 10 working days.

If you are interested in rezoning, we recommend you speak with our Zoning Staff prior to initiating the process.

Zoning Verification Application (PDF)

Zoning 101 Presentations

Commercial Site Considerations

Before you lease a space, purchase land or buy a building, make sure the zoning of that property matches the type of business you want to operate on it.

If you need help, visit us for a free commercial consultation. Our staff can:

  • verify your zoning
  • ensure your property is platted properly
  • give initial guidance about the development or construction process

Zoning Business Rules

There are certain business types that must adhere to location rules established by various regulatory authorities within the State of Texas. Please review the list below to see if your business falls into any of the categories prior to leasing or purchasing commercial space:

Alcohol Sales
Alcohol Sales can’t be sold for consumption on or off any property located within 300 feet of a church, school or hospital.
Bed & Breakfasts
No bed and breakfast facilities are allowed within 300 feet laterally and 150 feet perpendicular to other property designed for other bed and breakfasts.
Community Homes, Assisted Living Facilities & Boarding Homes
A community home can’t be within 0.5 mile of an existing one.
Head Shops
A head shop is not allowed within 1,000 feet of property zoned for residential, churches, hospitals, community centers, museums, parks or schools.
Transitional Homes
Transitional homes can’t be within 1,000 feet of any schools day care centers, or parks.
Live Entertainment [Sexually Oriented Businesses (SOB)]
SOBs can’t operate within 1,000 feet of a residential zoned property, schools, churches or parks.

If your business falls into one of these categories, you must submit an affidavit stating that the proposed business meets the locational requirements and provide a certified map prepared by a state licensed engineer or state licensed surveyor. To locate an engineer or surveyor, visit the Texas Board of Professional Engineers.

Zoning Districts

The below list covers the most common zoning districts for commercial property use:

  • O-1, O-1.5 and O-2: office districts
  • NC: neighborhood commercial
  • C-1, C-2 and C-3: commercial districts
  • D: downtown
  • L: light industrial
  • I-1: general industrial
  • I-2: heavy industrial
  • ERZD: Edwards Recharge Zone District

Information on uses permitted in the various zoning districts can be found in the Examples of Permitted Uses below or you can refer to the UDC (Chapter 35 Article III, Sec.35-310.01, Tables 311-1 and Tables 311-2).

NOTE: The sale of alcohol for on-premise consumption is allowed at restaurants in all permitted base zoning districts, except those designated as "R" or "NA".