Code Enforcement Process

The information is not inclusive of all steps and or actions that can be taken by the City. When possible, contact your code enforcement officer for specific information related to your case.

  1. Complaint is submitted via on-line system or 311 call center. Officers may also initiate cases proactively.
    • Complaints may be made anonymously or contact information can be left if the complainant wishes to be contacted by our department.
    • Complaint-based cases are assigned based on call type and location.
  2. For violations that require an initial inspection, the assigned officer will conduct an inspection for the stated complaint and document any other visible violations.
    • Initial inspections of the property in question will be completed within our stated service level agreement.

Learn more about Code Enforcement Prioritization.

If a Violation Is Found

  1. An attempt to contact the occupant of the property to issue a Notice of Violation (if one is required) or immediately issue an Administrative Citation for violations not requiring a Notice of Violation (e.g., trash and debris). 
  2. If a Notice in Person is not possible, the officer will:
    • post a notice on the property and
    • send a copy via first class mail or certified mail depending on the ordinance requirement

After the Required Compliance Expiration Date Has Passed

  1. A re-inspection is conducted to check for compliance.
  2. If the violation is resolved, the case will be closed.
  3. Failure to resolve a violation may result in a formal filing under one of the following adjudication processes:

NOTE: This process is not inclusive of all steps and or actions that can be taken by the City. In certain circumstances, the City is authorized to abate nuisances immediately. (e.g., cleaning of overgrown yards, removal of trash and debris, towing of inoperable vehicles, demolition of unsafe structures, and the securing of vacant structures).

If you are in receipt of a notice, citation or other formal document, more Abatement Information is available. When possible, contact your code enforcement officer for specific information related to your case.

Common Code Violations

Junked Vehicles

Broken-down, junked vehicles should not be parked in the following locations:

  • yards
  • on the street
  • any location that can be seen in ordinary public view

If, after notification, the vehicle is not repaired or removed:

  • a fine may be imposed for this violation and
  • the vehicle may be towed by the City and destroyed
Minimum Housing Standards

Homes, apartments or commercial buildings are required to meet certain standards for occupancy. The interior and exterior of each property must be:

  • in good repair
  • maintained in a safe and sanitary condition
  • free of rodent infestation, sewer leaks and the accumulation of garbage

If the health and safety of the persons living in these structures is compromised by a lack of maintenance, the property owner will be required to make the improvements necessary to meet the City’s code standards.

Bandit Signs

Bandit signs include any signs posted on any of the following:

  • utility poles
  • street signs
  • street furniture

This includes garage sale signs or signs posted in violation of City Code Ch. 28 in the public right-of-way.

Bandit signs are considered abandoned trash at the time of posting and may be removed and discarded without notice.

Temporary weekend signs approved through permit are allowed to be placed on the right-of-way of a road or highway maintained by the City between Friday and Monday (9 p.m.). These signs must not exceed 24 by 32 inches and meet all spacing requirements.

Dangerous Structures

Homes or commercial buildings that have become dilapidated or rundown may be considered dangerous structures. These structures are often vacant and become home to rodents, snakes or illegal activities that may threaten the health and safety of the surrounding community.

Depending on the condition of the property, the structure may be cleaned and secured or demolished by the City at the owner’s expense.

High Weeds and Vacant Lots

The City may issue a notice to the property owner requesting the property be mowed or cleared if:

  • grass/weeds grow more than 12 inches high
  • trash, brush and debris are allowed to accumulate on property

The City may contract for the property be mowed or cleared at the owner’s expense if the owner fails to do so. The City may also summarily abate a property without notice if:

  • the lot is located within 1,000 feet of a school
  • grass/weeds are in excess of 48 inches
Obstructions on City Property and Right-of-Ways

Sidewalks, streets and other public rights of way must be kept free of obstructions. The following are prohibited and must be removed by the owner of the abutting property:

  • overhanging tree limbs
  • basketball goals
  • fences
  • dumpsters
  • shrubbery
  • other obstructions in right-of-ways, including alley ways and easements
Outside Placement

Yards should not be used as storage areas for:

  • vehicles
  • building materials
  • tires
  • indoor furniture
  • appliances
  • boxes
  • other items

Outside placement is a violation of the City’s property maintenance code.

Illegal Dumping

Placing brush, furniture, appliances or other items at the front curb outside of a City-scheduled collection is a violation of City code.

The City provides two free collections of brush and bulky items per year for each resident. Brush and bulky items are not allowed to be mixed. Allowable materials may only be placed at the curb after a collection notice has been received.

Dumping on any of the following is against city code:

  • vacant lots
  • right-of-ways
  • easements
  • any other non-permitted disposal site
Front and Side Yard Parking

Vehicles, boats and trailers may not be parked on the front or side lawn of a home unless there is a permanent surface designated for parking:

  • concrete
  • brick
  • asphalt
  • gravel with defined borders