The licensing and registration requirements for electrical contractors are different based upon the type of work that will be performed.

State Electrical License Registration

State Electrical License Registration (PDF)

To receive a permit, you will need to register your State Electrical License. To register your license, you will need to submit the following:

  • Governmental issued photo identification
  • State Contractor License ID card and Master License ID card
  • Certificate of Insurance or Proof of Liability Insurance

City Electrical License Renewal & Registration

The City no longer issues Electrical Contractor Licenses. If you have an existing City-issued license, the City will honor your license.

To renew your license, you will need to submit the following:

Electrical Maintenance Technician Registration

Electrical Maintenance Technician Application (PDF)

Property owners, property lessees or property management companies can use persons qualified to maintain and make minor repairs to existing electrical systems on a property that is registered with the City.

In order for property maintenance staff to perform work within this scope, they will need to get an Electrical Maintenance Technician certification through a City of San Antonio authorized provider. A list of authorized providers is available in the application. Once certified, the Technician will need to register with the City, and will need to submit the following:

  • Government issued photo identification
  • Copy of Training Class Certificate (8 hours for initial registration only)
  • Annual registration fee: $35

NOTE: The electrical maintenance technician is not required to provide proof of insurance. The property owner or property management company will be required to have current insurance on file to pull permits as stated below.

Certificate of Liability Insurance Requirements

The following persons must maintain a certificate addressed to the city with the City of San Antonio listed as the Certificate Holder: 

  • Electrical contractor
  • Electrical sign contractor
  • Residential appliance installation contractor
  • The holder of an annual electrical maintenance permit

The certificate must carry the following types and amounts of insurance:

  • Bodily injury liability insurance of at least $300,000
  • Property damage liability insurance of at least $300,000 for both general liability and completed operations insurance.
  • This amount shall equal the same amount as the state, should requirements be changed by the state.