This program, based on federal and state Housing Stability Services guidelines, is designed to provide relocation assistance to low-income households impacted by financial hardship and housing instability.
Be the primary leaseholder in a multifamily unit or single-family home, and address must be within the city limits of San Antonio (living in City Council Districts 1-10)
Must not have received previous relocation-related assistance from the Housing Assistance Program in the last 12 months
Assistance per eligible household will be up to $3,000 for relocation-related expenses per 12-month period. Households with older adults (Age 62 or older) or individuals with disabilities are eligible to receive an additional $500
Households receiving relocation assistance must certify that they are not receiving duplicate housing stability benefits from another TDHCA funded grant
Households must be experiencing homelessness or be at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability AND one or more members of the household must attest in writing that they have either:
- Qualified for unemployment benefits,
- OR Due to or during the pandemic:
- Experienced a reduction in income,
- Incurred significant costs, or
- Experienced other financial hardship,
- AND one or more individuals within the household must attest:
- That they are at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include a past due utility or rent notice or eviction notice, OR
- That unless household receives rental assistance, they would have to move to an unsafe/unhealthy environment like a shared living situation or emergency shelter
- Must have a household income at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
Area Median Income (AMI)
*AMI limits are updated annually by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Final decision on this assistance will be made after the Neighborhood and Housing Services Department verifies the tenant meets all eligibility requirements for assistance. A new signed binding lease is required before payment can be made to various vendors.
The address for the landlord’s property and the tenant’s unit must be located within Council Districts 1-10 of the city. Bexar County residents may qualify for services based on eligibility and program qualifications. Use the Find My Council tool to confirm the property and unit where you live are located within Council Districts.
Assistance can cover:
- Security Deposit
- Application Fee (upon lease approval)
- Moving Cost Assistance (three moving quotes/invoices is required)
- Temporary Lodging (up to two weeks of assistance allowed)
- Landlord Incentive Payment - Risk Fees (non-refundable fee offered to the Landlord and confirms a 6-month lease term; Fee amount varies)
- Pet Fee (excludes monthly pet rent charges, must not exceed $500 per pet or $1,000 for all pets)
- Utility Security Deposit (CPS and SAWS only)
- Assistance will be administered directly to property management, or property owner, utility companies and other vendors on behalf of the applicant
- Assistance per eligible household will be up to $3,000 maximum for relocation-related expenses per 12-month period (moving expenses, deposits and fees). Rent is not an allowable expense.