$5 Million in ARPA State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF)
NOTE: This program is in Phase II of the City's two-phased strategy.
On February 3, 2022, City Council allocated $5 million for Arts. This was to provide economic relief to the arts community. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the arts community experienced revenue losses. These losses resulted in financial hardships.
The City Council designated the Community Health, Environment & Culture Committee (CHECC) to oversee the implementation planning for this category.
The Department of Arts & Culture developed an implementation plan known as ARPA 4 Arts. This plan deployed grants to the non-profit arts organizations and individual artists affected. The implementation plan was approved by CHECC on May 10, 2022, and the City Council on June 2, 2022.
To help the San Antonio arts community thrive beyond the pandemic, the spending plan provided a grant program to provide relief to:
- Individual artists
- Nonprofit arts organizations
Implementation Plan(PDF, 202KB)
- Arts nonprofits & artists were disproportionately impacted by COVID-19
- The Arts experienced financial hardships from revenue losses
- 18% decrease in employment
- 16% decrease in creative economy
- Develop grant program for arts nonprofits & artists
- Support nonprofits' operational costs, strategic planning & COVID-19 mitigation
- Support artists' housing/living expenses, professional development, & artistic career
- Disproportionally impacted communities prioritized in funding policy
- Arts agencies & artists thrive beyond the pandemic
- Residents & visitors connected & engaged with local artists & arts programming
- San Antonio's reputation as a top arts & tourist destination reinforced
Request for Applications
The City released a Request for Applications to identify individual artists and nonprofits arts organizations eligible for grant awards.
Request for Applications Timeline
- June 29, 2022: Request for Applications opened.
- July 29, 2022: Request for Applications closed.
- Aug. 2022: Evaluation and scoring of applications and applications proposed for grant and contract awards.
- Sept. 29, 2022: City Council approval of recommended awards.
- Oct. 1, 2022: Contracts began.
- Dec. 2026: All contracts will be complete by this date.
Community Health, Environment & Culture Committee
View Upcoming Meetings