$26.25 Million in ARPA State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF)
On February 3, 2022, the City Council allocated this funding for Small Business. The originally allocated amount of $26.25 million was augmented with City funds for a total investment of $30.95 million. The City Council designated the Economic & Workforce Development Committee (EWDC) to oversee the implementation planning for this category.
The EWDC considered the Small Business Advisory Commission (SBAC) Investment Portfolio recommendation over the course of several meetings. The implementation plans were approved by the EWDC on June 15, 2022. On June 23, 2022, the City Council approved the two-phase implementation plan.
- Phase I - The first phase focused on the deployment of the COVID Impact Grants program. The COVID Impact Grants program provided access to capital, associated outreach, and technical assistance. This phase began in July 2022 and concluded on January 13, 2023.
- Phase II - The second phase began in August 2022. Phase II prioritizes programs in the Capacity Building, Ecosystem Enhancements, and Localism strategies. Implementation of programs in the Geographic Placemaking strategy will coincide with the completion of the City’s Economic Development Department’s Strategic Planning Initiative.
The spending plan provides impact grants to small businesses that have been most affected by COVID-19. Those small businesses may receive grants ranging from $25,000 up to $45,000. Additionally, small businesses may receive access to capital. Access to capital is one of the greatest needs of small businesses owned by minority groups. Access to capital provides the opportunity for transformational change to small businesses. Other programs include ecosystem enhancements, localism, and geographic placemaking.
View Implementation Plan(PDF, 358KB)
|Strategy / Program
|Access to Capital
- COVID Impact Grants - $17 Million
- COVID Impact Grants Outreach and Marketing - $625,000
- Growth Fund Loan/Grants - $3 Million
- Launch SA Improvements - $300,000
- Back Office Support Program - $750,000
- Web Presence Program - $400,000
- Implementation of Pillars Identified in the SA Ecosystem Report
- Buy Local Program Implementation & Operations Support
- Operation Facelift - $3 Million
- Outdoor Spaces Program - $1.25 Million
- Corridor Program Pilot - $1 Million
Request for Proposals (RFP) Application
The City of San Antonio released a Request for Proposals (RFP) on August 18, 2022. The RFP sought proposals from qualified respondents providing small business development programs focused on the growth fund, capacity building, ecosystem enhancements, and Buy Local.
Applications for aid opened in August 2022, and review and scoring concluded in December 2022. Award notifications began October 2022, with funding disbursements completed in January 2023.
The City of San Antonio will release the second RFP in early 2023 and will be focused on placemaking and corridor revitalization efforts. This RFP release will be available on the City’s Purchasing site.
Economic & Workforce Development Committee
View Upcoming Meetings
- Staff Presentation - Youth, Digital Inclusion & Literacy - 06/24/2022(PDF, 4MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business - 06/15/2022(PDF, 2MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business - 06/10/2022(PDF, 3MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business, Youth, Digital Inclusion & Literacy - 05/24/2022(PDF, 5MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business, Youth, Digital Inclusion & Literacy - 04/26/2022(PDF, 7MB)