$32.44 Million in ARPA State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) and City Funds
- $26.25 Million in ARPA SLFRF
- $6.19 Million in City Funds
NOTE: This program is in Phase II of the City's two-phased strategy.
On February 3, 2022, the City Council allocated $26.25 million for Small Business. The City Council designated the Economic & Workforce Development Committee (EWDC) to oversee the implementation planning for this category. The EWDC considered the Small Business Advisory Commission (SBAC) Investment Portfolio recommendation over the course of several meetings and determined that this investment would be carried out in two phases. The implementation plan was approved by EWDC on June 15, 2022, and the City Council on June 23, 2022.
- Phase I - Focused on the deployment of the COVID Impact Grants program. The COVID Impact Grants program provided access to capital, associated outreach, and technical assistance. This phase began in July 2022 and concluded on January 13, 2023.
- Phase II - In progress and consists of the deployment of the Covid-19 Construction Recovery Grants Program and small business programs focused on Access to Capital (Growth Fund), Capacity Building, Ecosystem Enhancements, Localism and Geographic Placemaking.
The spending plan provides assistance to small businesses through various programs to help them recover from the negative economic impacts of COVID-19 and achieve long-term resiliency.
Summary of Current Implementation Plan(PDF, 117KB)
View Original Implementation Plan(PDF, 358KB)
The following table provides a summary of investments by identified priority and reflects City Council action taken on February 15, 2023.
|Strategy / Program
|Access to Capital
- COVID Impact Grants - Phase I - $17 Million
- COVID-19 Construction Recovery Grants - Phase II - $3.74 Million
- COVID Impact Grants Outreach and Marketing - Phase I - $0.63 Million
- Growth Fund - Phase I - $0.75 Million
- Web Presence Program - Phase II - $0.55 Million
- Launch SA Improvements - Phase II - $0.30 Million
- Back Office Support Program - $0.75 Million
- Implementation of Pillars Identified in the SA Ecosystem Report
- Buy Local Program Implementation & Operations Support
- Operation Facelift - Phase II - $3 Million
- Outdoor Spaces Program - Phase II - $1.25 Million
- Corridor Program Pilot - Phase II - $1 Million
Small Business Grants
The City has deployed various grant programs to support small businesses in our community since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. View a summary of grant awards and a list of grant recipients(PDF, 2MB), which includes the ARPA COVID Impact Grants and COVID-19/Construction Recovery Grants programs for small businesses. Included in this summary are the COVID-19 Recovery & Resiliency Plan grants programs of Micro Business & Nonprofit, Hospitality, Loan Forgiveness, and Broadway & Alamo Plaza TIRZ. For more information on Small Business Grants, visit the Economic Development Department's website.
COVID-19 / Construction Recovery Grants
The COVID-19/Construction Recovery Grants Program offered targeted relief to small businesses impacted by both COVID-19 and prolonged construction-related loss of revenues tied to specific City-initiated projects. Qualifying businesses received up to $35,000 in grant funding to help offset demonstrated losses in 2022 compared to 2021.
Request for Proposals (RFPs)
- August 18, 2022: RFP opened seeking proposals from qualified respondents providing small business development programs focused on the growth fund, capacity building, ecosystem enhancements, and Buy Local programs.
- October 21, 2022: RFP closed.
- November - December 2022: RFP evaluation and scoring. Small businesses identified for proposed contract awards.
- March 8, 2023: City Council briefing on recommended contract awards.
- April 6, 2023: City Council approval.
- April 2023 - December 2025: Contracts timeframe.
Economic & Workforce Development Committee
View Upcoming Meetings
- Approval of Awards – City Council – Small Business – 04/06/2023(PDF, 2MB)
- Post-Solicitation Briefing - Small Business - 03/08/2023(PDF, 968KB)
- Staff Presentation - Facade Improvement & Outdoor Spaces Programs - 02/28/2023(PDF, 3MB)
- Staff Presentation - Corridor Pilot Program - 02/03/2023(PDF, 1MB)
- Staff Presentation - ARPA Small Business COVID Impact Grants Program - 02/03/2023(PDF, 3MB)
- Small Business Construction Grant Program - 01/11/2023(PDF, 1MB)
- Staff Presentation - ARPA Small Business Implementation Plan - 08/12/2022(PDF, 2MB)
- Implementation Plans - Small Business - 06/23/2022(PDF, 3MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business - 06/15/2022(PDF, 2MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business - 06/10/2022(PDF, 3MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business, Youth, Digital Connectivity - 05/24/2022(PDF, 5MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business, Youth, Digital Connectivity - 04/26/2022(PDF, 7MB)