$8.7 Million in City Funds
NOTE: This program is in Phase II of the City's two-phased strategy.
On February 3, 2022, the City Council allocated $6.9 million for Digital Access/ Literacy, referred to here as Digital Connectivity. Later, on February 8, 2023, the City Council reallocated $1.8 million for a total investment in this area of $8.7 million.
The City Council designated the Economic and Workforce Development Committee (EWDC) to oversee planning for this category.
On August 26, 2022, the Audit and Accountability Committee was briefed on the Request for Proposals (RFP) to provide reliable internet to households in unserved and underserved areas.
The RFP was a joint solicitation between the City of San Antonio and Bexar County, and included 37 census tracts: 11 in unincorporated Bexar County and 26 within the City boundary.
On April 6, 2023, the City Council approved a contract with AT&T to provide affordable, quality fiber connectivity to 20,200 households, businesses, and community assets (including parks, community centers, and schools) across Council Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Additionally, the project area covers 26 census tracts within incorporated San Antonio.
Request for Proposals
- July 6, 2022: Release of RFP for known Internet Service Providers (ISP’s) or other firms to design, build-out and provide improved broadband infrastructure/service in underserved communities.
- Oct. 5, 2022: RFP closes.
- Dec. 19, 2022: RFP evaluation and scoring.
- March 8, 2023: City Council briefing on recommended contract awards.
- April 6, 2023: City Council approval.
- Staff Presentation - Youth, Digital Connectivity - 06/24/2022(PDF, 4MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business, Youth, Digital Connectivity - 05/24/2022(PDF, 5MB)
- Staff Presentation - Small Business, Youth, Digital Connectivity - 04/26/2022(PDF, 7MB)
- Approval of Contract – City Council – Digital Connectivity – 04/06/2023(PDF, 970KB)
- Post-Solicitation Briefing - Digital Connectivity – 03/08/2023(PDF, 1MB)