Making a Difference
The key to achieving Vision Zero is a combined approach that involves the community and uses the six essential elements for a safe transportation system:
- Education: Communicate the importance of safety for all on our roads, whether a person is driving, bicycling, walking or riding.
- Encouragement: Encourage all to practice safety and follow all traffic laws.
- Engineering: Construct improvements to enhance safety and accessibility on our roads.
- Enforcement: Enforce traffic safety and continue to support safety initiatives such as:
- Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving
- Click It or Ticket It
- Distracted Driving
- Evaluation: Evaluate traffic safety efforts and implement improvements as needed.
- Equity: Prioritize resources to our most marginalized communities.
Join the Movement
- Become a Vision Zero partner as an individual or as an organization.
- Support and volunteer with Vision Zero partner agencies.
- Take the Vision Zero Safety Pledge.
- Advocate for traffic safety for all road users.
- Participate in community dialogue regarding traffic safety.
- Utilize the City’s 311 system to report safety issues or concerns.
- Request a Vision Zero presentation or training.
- Organize a walk or bike audit of area infrastructure.
- Implement a mini-Síclovía or open streets event in your neighborhood.
- Decorate and place a yard sign(PDF, 2MB) in front of your home.
During the year there are opportunities for you to volunteer. Please contact us for more information.
I pledge to:
- Look out for others, especially children, older adults, persons with disabilities and people walking or biking.
- Slow down and look around, especially at intersections and driveways.
- Practice the rules of the road including yielding to people walking.
- Be alert at all times.
- Share this Vision Zero Safety Pledge with family and friends.
Safety Pledge(PDF, 2MB)
Whether you are driving, biking or walking, you can make a difference.
- Driving Tips
- Obey speed limits and signs.
- Slow down.
- Look for people biking and walking.
- Keep your eyes on the road.
- Don't text and drive.
- Make sure every passenger is buckled up every time.
- Don't drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Biking Tips
- Pay attention to the traffic around you - this includes both people driving and people walking.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Obey traffic laws.
- Bike in the same direction as traffic.
- Be visible by wearing bright or reflective clothing.
- Outfit your bike with the required lights and reflectors.
- Walking Tips
- Pay attention to the traffic around you - this includes both people driving and people biking.
- Watch for turning vehicles and people biking.
- Obey traffic laws.
- Cross at a marked crosswalk whenever possible.
- Whenever possible, wear bright or reflective clothing, as well as carry a light when it's dark out.
Business Safety Program
Thank you for your interest in the Vision Zero San Antonio Safety Program. We know you value the safety of your employees and all citizens on San Antonio roadways.
Because of this Vision Zero San Antonio is providing businesses like yours with information on safe roadway practices that could help protect your company’s financial health, brand and reputation.
To help educate road users on critical safety messages, we have put together a Partner Tool Kit with information that can be shared with your employees, customers, clients, and friends of your organization. All have been designed to educate people on roadway safety facts and issues, and common crash types that can be avoided.
If you would like a presentation, our business outreach team will visit your organization and introduce Vision Zero to your group. These appearances normally last 15 - 20 minutes and can be delivered in English and Spanish.
For more information and to schedule a presentation please contact us and a member of the Vision Zero team will contact you.