Rights and Regulations FAQ


What are the benefits of registering a Neighborhood Association?

Registration promotes two-way communication between neighborhoods and the City. Information on file with the City:

  • Provides notifications on zoning changes, plan amendments, variances, appeals, and historic landmark demolition
  • Provides notifications on historic designation applications within 200’ of the registered boundary
  • Is used by City Council offices and various departments for important City-related communication
  • Keeps neighborhoods in the know with changes in staff, the City Council office, and the City
  • Helps new residents connect with their Association
  • Allows prospective developers to connect with affected Associations on proposed projects
  • Provides the Association with free meeting space at City libraries
Why does the City require this information for registration?

The Unified Development Code (Section 35-408) requires certain information. Additionally, other information helps us connect residents or staff with the association.

The information is published online and you can view it on the MuniCode website. Other information may be made public through an Open Records Request.

If you have any questions, contact Neighborhood Engagement staff.

I have an issue with my association and cannot afford to hire an attorney. What are my options?

Keep in mind that attorney fees vary and you should contact multiple attorneys.

You should also consider free mediation through the Bexar County Dispute Resolution Center. Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid is a nonprofit that provides free legal services in over 30 areas to residents who qualify.

My association is registered with the City, but I wasn’t made aware of a project in my neighborhood. Why haven’t I received notice?

The City will notify associations of public hearings within 200 feet of the neighborhood boundary.

This notification is mailed to the point of contact on file, who is must handle information distribution. Notices are not sent to every individual property owner in the neighborhood association.

Please review the registry to ensure that your association's point of contact's information is correct. If you need to update the information, submit an update form through our website.

Who regulates neighborhood or homeowners' associations?

No city or state agency regulates home or property owners’ associations. The office of the Secretary of State does not have the authority to investigate or regulate internal activities of home or property owners’ associations.

What powers does the City of San Antonio have to regulate a management company, board members, or an HOA?

The City of San Antonio does not have authority to regulate or enforce an association’s bylaws. The City also does not have authority to enforce arrangements with a management company.

Home Owners Associations

What are my rights as an HOA member?

Refer to the Texas Residential Property Owners Protection Act, Chapter 209 of the Texas Property Code.

What are my rights as a condominium association member?

Refer to the Uniform Condominium Act, Chapter 82 of the Texas Property Code.

Is my HOA board allowed to discuss HOA business through email and vote on issues without discussing them publicly at a meeting?

Yes. But, under the Texas Business Organization Code, they must disclose e-mails upon request.

Which takes precedence: state law, city ordinances, or a neighborhood’s Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs)?

State law, then city ordinances, then CC&Rs, in that order.

What can HOA members do when there is a dispute involving board members?

Members may choose to seek free mediation through the Bexar County Dispute Resolution Center. They may also elect new board members, or hire a private attorney to take legal action.

What is an HOA’s role in relation to noise complaints or vehicles parked on public streets?

The City will address complaints if they are violating any ordinances. You can report noise complaints to the SAPD non-emergency line, 210-207-7273.

You can report a vehicle complaint by calling 3-1-1.